Located 35 kilometres (22 mi) downstream from where the Thomson and Barcoo Rivers join to form the multi-channelled Cooper Creek, Windorah is known as "The Heart of the Channel Country" and offers a welcome and interesting stop off for travellers to Birdsville, Bedourie, Longreach and points West. While the Shire covers an area of 60,901 km², the town has a population of 60 people, with a further 40 living at surrounding stations.
Sheep and cattle grazing are the main stay of the district, however recently oil and gas industries have developed in the area. Many locals also work on the Shire Council and the Dingo Barrier Fence.
The town was completely isolated by floodwater in 1949 after surrounding areas were inundated by heavy rainfall. Low cloud and more rain prevented relief food supplies from being delivered by air from a RAAF Dakota.