is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 4 km south-east from Melbourne's Central Business District. Its local government areas are the Cities of Melbourne and Stonnington. At the 2011 Census, South Yarra had a population of 19,134. The area east of Punt Road is in the City of Stonnington and the area to the west is in the City of Melbourne.
Chapel Street in South Yarra
South Yarra was originally inhabited by the Wurundjeri tribe of the Kulinaboriginal nation. The area was settled by European settlers in the 1830s, around the time of the establishment of Melbourne. During the 1840s, it became popular with wealthy citizens of Melbourne as a suburban retreat from the town. Several large houses were built and, together with neighbouring Toorak, it maintained its upper-class reputation into the post-Second World Warperiod. South Yarra Post Office was open briefly in 1854, then reopened on 21 June 1858.
During the 1920s and 1930s, many of the large gardens of the older mansions were subdivided and blocks of flats became a feature of the area. From the 1930s, the area around Park Street, where large numbers of flats had been built, became a popular neighbourhood for middle-class homosexuals; at that time an illegal subculture in the state of Victoria.
South Yarra has several local attractions. Perhaps the best known is Chapel Street. The South Yarra section of the famous street is the most fashionable and upmarket end. A major landmark is The Jam Factory, old factories converted into an upmarket shopping centre and cinemas. The Como Centre is a large shopping centre on the corner of Toorak and Chapel Streets, which combines with an office building, South Yarra's tallest, which houses the headquarters forATV-10 and Global Television's TV production facilities. The Prahran Market, located in South Yarra, is one of Melbourne's most popular and historic fresh produce markets.
Many historic mansions can be found in South Yarra. Heritage registered houses include Como House (1847), one of Melbourne's earliest mansions on its large estate on Williams Road, now owned by the National Trust and known for its long association with the Armytage family, Richmond House (1859), in Avoca Street, formerly home to Sir Rupert Clarke Bt, Barwon (1881) and Airlie Houseon Domain Road, once the townhouse of the Chirnside family of Werribee Park fame, which now serves as a leadership college for Victoria Police.
An important area for Art Deco enthusiasts can be found along Alexandra Avenue, Lawson Grove and Darling Street. This area was subject to renewal in the 1920s and 1930s by entrepreneurial builder Mr Lawson, as a kind of medium-density village enclave development. As a result, a large number of Art Deco apartment buildings were built in a Hollywood Hills style overlooking the Yarra River. One of the most famous of these apartment buildings, "Beverly Hills", on Darling Street, retains the original 1930s grotto-style swimming pool for the use of all residents. Nearby in Lawson Grove the Lawson Grove Café can be found on the ground floor of a 1930s Art Deco building. It was originally intended to run as a convenience store for local residents, but is now a chic café for those in the know.
South Yarra has two railway stations.South Yarra railway station is on the Pakenham, Cranbourne, Frankston andSandringham lines. It is the junction for the Sandringham line. Hawksburn Station is on the Pakenham, Cranbourne and Frankston lines and serves the eastern part of the suburb. Tram routes 8, 72 and 78 also run through South Yarra. Major bus routes run along Commercial Road and Punt Road.
Melbourne High School is located in South Yarra, and the 1930s Gothic main building is a local landmark. Melbourne Girls Grammar Merton Hall campus is located in Anderson Street South Yarra, opposite the Royal Botanical Gardens, while its junior school, Morris Hall, is in Caroline Street South Yarra. Melbourne Grammar School (boys only at senior level) occupies an entire block bounded by Domain Road, St Kilda Road, Domain Street and Bromby Street. It has historic and grand bluestone buildings. In addition, Melbourne Grammar owns many of the terrace houses in Domain Street to provide accommodation for its masters, as well as the grand Victorian terrace house in Domain Road, Creswick House, home to its middle school boarders. Christ Church Grammar School and South Yarra Primary School, two of Victoria's oldest primary schools, are also located in South Yarra.
The suburb has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Southern Football League. The Melbourne High School Old Boys Football Club have three teams that competey in the Victorian Amateur Football Association. Their home ground is based at Melbourne High School, where weekly matches are played on the Woodfull-Miller oval, the school's sole football oval..