is a town in Victoria, Australia in the Sunraysia region. It is located on the Calder Highway, 16 km south of Mildura and 544 km north-west of Melbourne. At the 2006 census, Red Cliffs had a population of 4596. The main industry is the growing of citrus fruits and grapes. Red Cliffs takes its name from the 70 m cliffs 4.5 km east of the town that have an apparent red/orange colour.
The area was first settled by Europeans in 1918. Following the First World War, 700 soldiers settled in the town, and began work on establishing the vineyards which would become the town's chief industry. The Post Office opened on 4 August 1920. More land was sold to soldiers following the Second World War.
Red Cliffs has three primary schools :
And one secondary school :
The town has an Australian Rules football team competing in the Sunraysia Football League. Golfers play at the course of the Red Cliffs Golf Club on 22nd Street. The town also has its own cricket association, the RCCA. The association has 3 grades and includes teams from the Sunraysia/Millewa and Ouyen areas.
Red Cliffs features a permanent public exhibit called Big Lizzie, a large tractor. Frank Bottrill was the designer, builder and operator of "Big Lizzie". One of its features was the use of the Bottrill dreadnought wheel which he designed, and which he also fitted to other machines. Botrill was inspired by his experiences in the 1800s witnessing the suffering of camels carrying heavy loads. The wheel was designed to work in sandy soils. The design was effective but was later outdated by the caterpillar track. When it was built "Big Lizzie" was the biggest tractor in Australia and thought to be the biggest in the world, at 34 feet high by 18 feet wide, and weighing 45 tons. It had two trailers also fitted with Bottrill wheels.
The Red Cliffs Lunar Festival is held every March to celebrate the end of the grape harvest. The event includes a street parade, musical performances, street market, bicycle race and an evening outdoor film screening. It is organised by the Red Cliffs Rotary Club.