Ingham is a town in the Great Green Way region of North Queensland, Australia. The town was founded in 1864, gazetted a shire in 1879, and is the service centre for many sugarcane plantations, pioneered in the 1870s by William Ingham, for whom the town is named. It is the administrative centre for the Shire of Hinchinbrook. At the 2011 Australian Census the town recorded a population of 4,706.
Clock at Rotary park
Ingham is approximately 110 kilometres (68 mi) north of Townsville and 1,437 kilometres (893 mi) north of the state capital, Brisbane. The town is positioned about 17 km inland within the Herbert River floodplain where Palm Creek drains the low-lying lands. It is surrounded by sugar cane farms which are serviced by a number of private railways. The North Coast railway line passes through the town.
Ingham is known mainly for sugar cane farming. Victoria Sugar Mill, the largest sugar mill in Australia and one of the largest in the southern hemisphere, owned by Wilmar Sugar Australia Limited, is located close to the town. Much of the cane is transported to the mills by light tramlines.
Other industries in the Ingham area include cattle, farming, fishing, timber and tourism.
The town is home to the regional art gallery called TYTO Regional Art Gallery. In the same precinct is the Hinchinbrook Shire Library. Wallaman Falls are about 40 km to the west of the town. Hinchinbrook Island is about 20 km north of Ingham.
The Australian-Italian Festival is held in Ingham in May each year and is one of the most popular events in the region, with thousands of people attending the event. The festival celebrates Ingham's cultural background, dating from the 1890s when the first Italian immigrants came to the region. More than half the population of the town are of Italian descent. The town is known as "Little Italy".
The annual festival, held at the Ingham Showgrounds, began as an idea from a community workshop. Many Italians visit from Italy to celebrate the event, reinforcing the cultural ties between the inhabitants of Ingham and Italy.