is a suburb of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 17 km west of Melbourne's central business district. Its local government area is the City of Brimbank. At the 2011 Census, Deer Park had a population of 16,204.
Kororoit Creek at Deer Park
The suburb was originally named Kororoit Creek, after the creek running through the suburb but was renamed after the Melbourne Hunt Club used the area to house their stock of game deer. The original Hunt Club building still stands on Ballarat Road, next to the Deer Park sports oval and is now a community centre. The Hunt Club was opened on Saturday, 11 July 1885.
Following the discovery of gold in Ballarat and Bendigo, to the west, there became a great demand for explosives. Deer Park was chosen as the site of Melbourne's first explosives factory, commenced by Jones Scott and Co in about 1874 and later reformed as Australian Explosives and Chemical Co, then Nobel (Australasia), Imperial Chemical Industriesof Australian and New Zealand (ICIANZ) and most recently Orica.
The site was chosen for its isolation, as it was several miles from the outskirts of Melbourne. The availability of water in Kororoit Creek was also a factor. The Post Office opened in 1878 as Kororoit Creek and was renamed Deer Park in 1889. In the 1920s suburban sprawl threatened the isolation of the factory but before a move was necessary, the sprawl was halted by the depression of the 1930s.
A fatal accident at the factory in 1923 led to production of Black powder being stopped. In 1928, Imperial Chemical Industries of Australia and New Zealand (ICI, now Orica) took control of the factory. A new Black Powder factory was built in Deer Park in 1936 and enlarged during World War II. Charcoal from Australian timbers also began to be manufactured.
The electrification of the train line to Deer Park was expected to occur in the 1980s, however the project has been ignored by successive State Governments. Many residents believe the delay in upgrading the train line is related to the fact that Deer Park is situated in one of the safest Labor seats in the country. Melbourne bus routes 215, 216, 400, and 420 service the area.
The main road through Deer Park is Ballarat Road, which carries traffic between Melbourne and Ballarat, Victoria's third largest city. Station Road intersects north-south with Ballarat Road and is a major local route. The Deer Park Bypass, completed in 2009, allows motorists to avoid the suburban streets of Deer Park on their journey from Melbourne to Caroline Springs, Ballarat and beyond.
Currently Deer Park has one secondary college which is Victoria University Secondary College - Deer Park Campus (formerly Deer Park High School). It has four primary schools which are Deer Park North, Deer Park West and St. Peter Chanel P.S .